I wanted to post one more this morning.. This time on super safe web surfing, a LOT of people I know do a HUGE amount of research online, I use twitter a lot for sources and finding the hot story. But I have a trick up my sleeve..
I am not saying I have NEVER gotten infected by malware or virus infection but I have NOT gotten infected in MANY years..
- Host file! from http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm Never heard of it, I am not surprised! But if you use a PC a host file can be your BEST friend. There are some serious advantages to having a host file and a few downsides..
- Your host file is NOT software, it cannot crash and can rarely be attacked directly. It is a PART of your operating system. Once you install it, it becomes the primary filter ALL incoming and outgoing traffic flows though.
- You can modify it! You can add your own lines to it.. If you have some computer skills this is KEY to knowing how to get around the down sides..
- It is proven to work.. How do I know this.. I have been using it for 6 years! And since I installed it and kept it up to date I have NEVER been infected.
- Its fun to use the internet with out all the ads.. Now this is a touchy thing for many. The host file DOES remove or disable MOST adds the only exception is locally hosted adds. So if you own your own website consider installing your OWN ad serving software. This way people know your site is secure.
- The DOWNSIDE to this “add removal” is that you may encounter some problems with some websites. Corporate media sites like ABC.com etc.. which show you ads in between your videos.. will not work correctly and you will need to modify the file to allow for those site. Likewise some personals sites do not work with a host file.. These are usually of the darker side and include some form of pornography. Advertisements but many of them are KNOWN to infect the end users computer (that’s you)
- ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE.. I have used AVG for YEARS.. I trust it.. And if you keep it up to date.. the free version + the host file will serve you well..
- Common sense.. Oh yeah.. if I open a website and things start blinking and flashing at me.. or I see pornographic ads I close the site ASAP!
- BACKUP! I have a anti-malware program installed on my computer and I keep it up-to-date.. I prefer to use Malwarebytes software it can detect and kill most any malware infection. IF YOU KEEP IT UP TO DATE!
When you really want to get secure (nothing is 100% by the way, unless you have some serious skills and even then) and I don’t think anyone should really be this paranoid anyway.. Then you use a proxy site like Startpage.com or http://anonymouse.org/ these sites let you surf and search the internet in the dark by rerouting over and over your personal computer address or IP address though various computers around the globe.. this works well for some things and not so well for others..
I DOT NO RECOMMEND USING THIS FOR ANY KIND OF CRIMINAL ACTIVITY these suggestions are meant to protect you from hackers NOT from the law!
Lastly If you want TRUE privacy.. Log off! Because the age of privacy wither we like it or not.. has past..
Just my two cents.. Happy surfing folks..
Ps.. you can take it to the next level.. http://pcplus.techradar.com/disasterproof6 OR just borrow your friends computer and let him deal with the blow back.. JK